Friday, February 8, 2008

Mother Nature's Fury

I hate to continue the discussion on the tornado outbreak in the South just a few days ago, but Mother Nature's strength continues to amaze me! I was reviewing the storm reports from SPC's (Storm Prediction Center) site and came across some very interesting ones.

- In Tennessee seven tractor trailers were blown over. It's one thing to feel the wind pushing your car, but can you imagine having such strong winds that they can just push over a tractor trailer like it's a toothpick?!?

or what about...

- A roof was blown off the Pinnacle Airline Hanger at Memphis International Airport and the airstairs were moved 100 yards. Okay, those are pretty strong winds, but...it also moved a 737 airplane a foot! If you've ever flown, you know how big those planes are...now *that* is impressive.

I've never actually seen a tornado. A few tornadoes have hit around my hometown in Western Pennsylvania, but I've never actually experienced it. This may sound weird, but I'm hoping that will change. It is and will always be a lifelong passion of mine to go storm chasing, at least once. Only time will tell!

No comments: