Monday, February 18, 2008

More Spring Weather

When I think about weather around Presidents Day I automatically think of snowstorms. There have been some notable Winter storms to hit the mid-Atlantic and Northeast this time of year. My latest memory goes right to the storm in 2003 that was mentioned in the post above. I was a junior in college and we received 2 feet of snow, and had a few days off from school. I remember parking my car under a parking garage so I didn't have to shovel my car out. My roommates didn't, so I helped them shovel theirs anyway.

No chance of any snow this year with a mild pattern in place today. Strong Southerly winds ahead of a cold front boosted high temperatures today in the upper 60s across the inland area. Georgetown had a high of 69 and Salisbury reached 67, with the average temp being 48 for this date. The front is now offshore but when it came through this evening, there was a line of heavier showers and perhaps a few rumbles of thunder was heard. These heavier showers came through Delaware and Northern MD with Eastern Sussex and Worcester counties hit the hardest.

The air mass is now drying out but cooler air is moving in as winds switched out of the NW. Expect sun and clouds tomorrow with a slight chance of stray shower as a second cold front comes through. A fast moving clipper type system then comes through on Wednesday evening. These systems tend to bring snow showers to our areas this time of year, but it looks like temps will be too warm and we should just see rain showers. Maybe far Northern areas could see a few flakes if enough cold air can arrive in time. Temperatures remain at or below average for the rest of the week.

No comments: