Thursday, June 5, 2008

Yesterday's Weather Stories


Today I received an email from Jennifer Rickwood of Preston, Md in Caroline County. So far there have been no official reports of tornadoes, but here is her story:

"On June 4, a terrible storm hit the Preston area in Caroline County. However, it was more than just any ordinary storm as some people think. My husband, Michael Rickwood, (of the Dorchester County Sheriff Department) took this picture of a tornado coming from the Choptank River into the southern part of the county. I was coming home and saw cars pulled off on the side of the road, Havercamp Rd, and quickly looked at the approaching storm. I hurried home only 1/4 more mile away and had difficulty getting out of the car. The wind forced my son and I back into the car. We finally got out and found that the power was out inside the house. I walked to the back window of our house and saw the tornado coming closer to our house. Water sprayed through our back windows and I thought for sure the windows were going to shatter. My husband put me and my children into the bathroom. He looked out the front of the house and saw a school bus, driven by ****** with approximately ten children still on board. My father in his truck was at the end of the driveway, ******, and his back was towards the tornado. He felt his truck lift and the bus driver said that the bus was rocking. The children and bus driver hovered down on the floor of the bus and when she knew she had to help the children she drove up to the house beside me, *******, and unloaded the children into the home for coverage and encouragement. The storm went into the town of Preston destroying trees and some buildings and caused power lines to go down.
I can tell you it was the most frightening storm I had ever witnessed and felt. My children will never forget."

Curious about the picture? It's really hard to tell, we can't mark tornado out of the question, but with the line of trees, there is no way to tell if it was touching ground or not. Also, without video, you can't tell if the storm was rotating or not. Perhaps a funnel cloud?

Rickwood was not the only one with a story. Here is another story sent in from CJ Wood of Ridgely, Md.

"Hey there guys, I would say good day but it's been the opposite of that! Very strong storms has been brewing and hitting my area constantly since 3pm today. It's almost 10pm and I'm getting hit by a nasty string! All day it's been nothing but heavy downpours with very limited visibility and flooding, very string wind gusts that has uprooted trees and fallen into buildings, constant close and dangerous lightning, and loud boomers. I live in Ridgely, MD(on the line of Denton). I was caught in the first very bad storm that issued tornado warnings on the western and eastern shore of Maryland. I tried beating the storm going home but it caught me in downtown Annapolis on the Eastport bridge. Visibilty was shorted to several feet at times with very strong winds. I spotted a wall cloud. I turned around and went into my bosses house a couple blocks away for shelter until it past."

No comments: