Friday, June 6, 2008

More Weather Stories

Yesterday I posted a picture taken by Michael Rickwood and shared his wife's story. After asking a few more questions, they gave me even more details that I wanted to share. To me, the way Jennifer explained this event, it sounds like she first saw a rotating wall cloud. A rotating wall cloud indicates a mesocyclone, which is where you would have a tornado. At the least, it sounds like they witnessed the beginning of a tornado, but were able to get shelter before visually verifying that a tornado touched ground. If anyone else from this area saw anything we would love to hear about it or see pictures. You can always email us at weather@wmdt.com.

More from Jennifer:
"After my husband took the picture, moments later I was trying to get in the house. When I came in, I walked over to the back kitchen window. My husband was yelling for me and the children to go take cover in the bathroom. I was so caught up in looking out the window and I could barely hear him yelling. In the field in front of the woods it came closer and closer to the house. I can describe it as a wall. A shifting, turning wall and it was coming closer and closer towards the back of the house. Water came in through the windows. This is a brand new house, Anderson windows closed up. I felt like the windows were going to shatter so I moved away and ran to be with the kids. It happened quickly, maybe a matter of a minute. I never seen anything like it before. I felt like I was in shock looking at it (tranced by it). There was a path that went from my house to the neighbor, across the road, knocked down telephone poles, tore trees from trunks, and went into the town of Preston. I've heard what people have said, "It was only a high wind". I know what I saw and I won't ever forget it. I will never forget how loud it was and I just had a horrible time taking my eyes off of it. "

Michael's remarks:
"I did not see the funnel cloud touch the ground, because I had a six year old girl in the house. I was picking things up around the yard because of the approaching storm. I saw the storm line (line at bottom of clouds and noticed something coming out of the clouds.) It was very fast and by the time I realized I needed to get in the house (just after taking picture) it must have been right on us. The wind was so great it blew water on top of the kitchen table and the windows in the kitchen were closed and locked. They are Anderson windows and I actually thought they were going to bust. My next door neighbor had a lot of damage and from her yard. It went into Preston leaving a path of destruction. There is no doubt in my mind the funnel cloud touched the ground because of how fast it came down and the furry of the storm after I ran in the house. I thought to myself if I had just waited another thirty seconds and taken another picture, but I realize I had enough sense to find shelter and protect my family. I really did not set out to take a picture of the storm, but when I saw the funnel cloud come down I decided to take a picture because I had my cell phone in my hand."

Here are a few more pictures from this storm sent in by a couple of our Weather Watchers:


Let's start with a calmer picture. The picture below was taken by Ted Parker of Winding Creek Village , Del. Check out that sky!



The two pictures below were taken by Hunter Outten of Frankford, Del. The first picture looks like a very nasty cloud. The second picture shows some of the damage he received at his house.


Not only did we see some nasty weather on Wednesday, but we had a batch on Saturday as well. Here are some more "pleasant" pictures Hunter sent in from that event.
The picture below is pretty cool. It appears to be only the "red stripe" of a rainbow. What is even cooler about the picture is if you look closely to the left, you can see a secondary "red stripe forming."

A while back Hunter sent in a picture of a rainbow and secondary rainbow. We talked on that blog about how rainbows form. Quickly going back to that, the formation of a rainbow has to do with the reflection and refraction of light off a water droplet. When a double reflection occurs you get that secondary rainbow. So why only red? Rainbows always have the same color sequence. Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet. Red has the longest wavelength, while blue and violet would be some of your shorter wavelengths. Without getting into too much detail, shorter wavelengths are refracted at greater angles than longer wavelengths. The angle that the light was refracted through the water droplet plays a big part in why we are only seeing the "red stripe" below.

No comments: